NHHSP 2018-2019 Application and Program Guidance
Thank you for your interest in applying to the Native Hawaiian Health Scholarship/Papa Ola Lōkahi Program for the academic year 2018-2019.
In order to apply for a Native Hawaiian Health Scholarship (NHHSP) award, you MUST meet the following to be eligible:
- Provide the Native Hawaiian Scholarship Program with documents as evidence of your Native Hawaiian ancestry, in accordance with the Native Hawaiian Care Improvement Act, 42 U.S.C. 11709 and 11711 (3), applicants to the Native Hawaiian Health Scholarship Program (NHHSP) are to “Be of Native Hawaiian ancestry” and are required to provide NHHSP “… with evidence of genealogical records, Kupuna and Kama`aina verification or birth records of the State of Hawai`i.”
- Relocate to any island after your education and required licensure, to complete the mandatory service obligation component of the award
- Free of other federal service obligation(s) to be completed in the future. Applicants, except military reservists, who are already obligated to a Federal, State or other entity for professional practice or service after academic training are not eligible for Scholarship Program awards. An exception may be made if the obligating entity provides documentation that there is no potential conflict in fulfilling the service commitment to the Scholarship Program and that the Scholarship Program service commitment will be performed first.
- Accepted or currently enrolled as a full-time student in a fully accredited health professions program beginning no later than September 30, 2018.
Should you meet the above eligibility, please complete the application packet and return as indicated in the instructions.
Upon receipt and review of application materials, eligible applicants will be contacted by telephone for a scholarship interview.
Our office hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday. We are closed on State and Federal holidays. You may leave a voice mail if you find it necessary to call after hours. Your voice mail will be answered on the next business day.
Here are the Application Forms and Instructions:
- FY 2018-2019 NHHSP Annual Program Guidance
- NHHSP Letter and Application Instructions
- Packet A - Applicant Instructions and Forms
- Packet B - Evaluator Instructions and Forms
Please note that the deadline to submit your application and complete the interview is April 30, 2018.